Category Archives: Alternative
- Jill and I met 13 years ago and quickly became friends. Although we lived near each other we were the kind of friends in which you could not see for a couple of weeks or so – and pick right up where you left off. She pushed to get behind my defensive wall and drew me out of my comfort zone. 6 months after I left an 8 year relationship – I knew Jill had something on her mind and I thought maybe it could be “me” – so I put her on the back of my motorcycle with a full tank of gas and told her I wouldn’t let her off until she came clean with whatever was going on in her head! (Thank God I turned out to be right or she could’ve had me arrested for kidnapping!) Although it was the type of relationship I was comfortable with – it was all new for her (I’ll let you read between the lines on that one.)
- On May 22, 2010 I married my best friend in front of 100 of our closest friends and family. It is only through patience, understanding and a lot of time that our families have come to realize just because society says we’re “different” – we love just the same as everyone else, COMPLETELY.
- I am a control freak and everyone around me knows it. Jill deals with life one moment at a time – I’d much rather have it planned out on my Android with confirmations from all parties involved.
- I am a Riders Edge instructor at Sauk Prairie Harley-Davidson, Inc. I love the opportunity to help people realize their dreams to ride motorcycles safely, coaching them to succeed and exceed their goals one exercise at a time.
- I am SO not the creative/talented partner at JillCards, LLC. I am an avid photographer who enjoys capturing wildlife and friends in their natural habitat. Jill can take a simple piece of paper, acid free adhesive (see I’m paying attention!) and make a beautiful Send again greeting card.
- I am in recovery and have been for a few 24 hours (as we say in the program). Had I continued using, none of what I enjoy today would be my reality. It is only through sobriety that the rest of my life is real.
- (Okay this is getting harder than I thought…)
- I am the mother to 2 teenagers, My son is 19 and my daughter is 15 – I’m not sure but I think they have completed a foreign language somewhere along the line without me knowing it. UGH – I just don’t get them sometimes – did my parents feel that way?
- Not completing my bachelor’s degree is my biggest regret – why haven’t I done it yet….good question for which I can supply a lengthy list of excuses
- We developed the “Send again” greeting card concept in the fall of 2009. Jill had worked with the idea for years but together we invested time, effort and some money and made JillCards, LLC a reality. We are a small company based in beautiful rural Wisconsin. Our hand-made personalized cards can be sent again to another person, after receiving it. For the recycled concept, we use everything from used greeting cards, old calendars, discarded magazines, our pictures, your own photographs, scrapbook materials; just about anything we can get our hands on. We recycle each card into a unique personal treasure! To “Send again”, simply remove the message tag on the card backside, and replace it with the already used message tag on the inside of your card. Now, you are ready to write your own heartfelt message, and “Send again”. It’s like re-gifting a greeting card! We encourage anyone to submit their own photos for an even more personal touch.
- Jill and I are almost complete opposites. I previously mentioned our different approaches to life, but that’s only the beginning. Jill comes from a large family – mine was small (2 daughters), she needs lots of sleep and until my recent back surgery – I needed very little and worked 14+ hours per day most of the year, she’s creative and has a can do anything attitude – I don’t feel very creative and can get frustrated and give up easily.
- Now all the stuff we share – 1st and foremost our love for each other and everyday living, side-by-side, JillCards – the home business we started in the fall of ’09, together we have 5 kids all of which are VERY different, we LOVE coffee and have a crazy fun day/night sitting at a coffee shop with our laptops, after she learned to ride motorcycles – she became almost as addicted to Harley-Davisons as I am, we love to laugh with each other doing something OR absolutely nothing but giggling like little girls, we also have some of the best parents and best friends that anyone could ask for! Thanks for this opportunity to think a little deeper in 2011!
You can have a life filled with awe at any age. You can awake each morning, potentially inspired, centered, with a sense that many options and opportunities stretch before you. Awe is a power unto itself, and by its very nature transforms us. The best part is it is free, natural and continually available. All you need is the willingness to awaken to awe, and to do so by trying a new approach to life.
By Kirk J. Schneider, Ph.D.
Not one Soul is going to be lost. In fact, there aren’t any lost Souls. The Soul always knows where it is. It just doesn’t care.
The Soul knows it is going to outlast your body, it knows it’s going to outlast the thoughts you’ve been having, it knows it’s going to go beyond the imagination, and your feelings have betrayed you for so long that it pays little attention to them. So why shouldn’t it be happy in these lower worlds?
Our misidentification causes us to go into the quandary of the mind to second-guess. And yet the Soul says, “I’m here, I’m present. I’m not over there. I’m here, I’m present. This is the moment.”
(From: The Tao of Spirit, p. 139)
Up an at ’em for another day. Seems like time is just flying by a day at a time.
Went down to Habitat for Humanity storage facility and got our families engraved stone that was mounted outside of the RAC center. Anyone know why they removed them? I thought when I paid for it and donated to the drive it would be permanant!
Lots to do, lots to work out before our wedding! Looking for ideas on how to color sand. The amount that we need is more than I want to pay for the actual colors in stores and we would like to DIY. Any ideas would be appreciated…
I am looking for the author of this quote….
Can anyone out there help me?
It’s late, and I cannot sleep. Lots of stuff going through my mind as orders are starting to come in, and I’m very excited about that. In addition to keeping up with our orders, I am trying to do our wedding announcements. One month after our wedding, is my nieces wedding (huge catholic wedding) which I have had the honor of taking on the responsibility of her announcements, programs, etc. This is the time of year I have been waiting for, and our business appears to be taking off.
I would like nothing better than to quit my job and work JillCards, LLC full-time. It is a creative aspect of my life which gives me a lot of serenity, and peace.
We had a visitor today, and it was so exciting to see Ana again. Ana is a younger friend which we met through our recovery program. She has since moved on to participate in the rest of her life IN RECOVERY in another state, and I must say that she looks great. She seems to be at peace with herself and doing the best she can in this mixed up and crazy world. Way to go Ana….Good things come to those who do the “next right thing”.
Last weekend we traveled to Minnesota for a “girls getaway”. It was a fantastic weekend with good food and great company. We all did a lot of laughing, and we went away full, happy and content! We really should do that at least once every 6-months, as sort of soul a cleansing and renewing.
I hope everyone is doing well (and sleeping) and are healthy & fit.
This weekend will be a “girl’s weekend” with a few friends, that are the “best”. It has been a needed mini-vacation, as I appear to be slacking in the wedding prep department, and I tend to have blinders on most of the time. It seems that when I get my brain on something, I cannot entertain anything else, until I have my projects completed. With JillCards, it doesn’t get completed, because I continually get orders and have holidays and occasions arise.
Now, I’m not complaining, because that is a good sign, but everything else in my life gets put on the back burner. I have been reminded that I have a wedding to attend in May of this year. Since I will be one of the brides (Mrs & Mrs), I guess I need to do more than just attend. I am a person who waits till the last-minute, but I have grudgingly admitted and confessed last night that this is not one of the occasions that I can wait till the last-minute for, and still pull it off.
Okay, okay! I am turning over a new leaf (haven’t heard that one before!) and putting everything else on the back burner, until I have equally done my part for this wonderful wedding; even though Dee Dee is at the point of more than half way over the line of her equal part.
Last night I made some DEMO wedding announcements, for opinions and feedback. That leads me to this get-away weekend with the best of the best. I am hoping to have a final decision on “the one”, and starting next week, I can get a good start on the bulk of the invitations. I’m really hoping to get a lot of the things we need for the ceremony, reception and dance! Most of this event will be a hand-made/home-made adventure, and since I have confessed my lack of attention to this event, I feel much better and relieved now to get it going. The hardest part for me is the confession of my character defects. The only problem I have is that most of the time I do not even see my character defects until it’s right there staring me in the face, and taking on a life of its own.
Wish me luck in the wedding prep department, and have a good weekend. I know I will with “the girls”!
Please check out the photos I have added, and check out our website. I would really like to know how people feel about the navigation of the site, our twitters, comments, etc. Also, check out our wedding blog. Seems a lot of people have been visiting our site for Dee Dee’s writings. Isn’t she a great author?
Thanks so much! Jill